Skip to main content

Flights of fancy

My new favorite thing is the brewpub. I feel as if it's the best way to sustain quality beer and innovation in the long run. Recently, I spoke with I guy I know about bottling. For small breweries, it is getting tougher and tougher to get shelf space. Retailers are only willing to cede so much Natural Light space to boutique beers. It'll be like that for a long, long time. The market isn't saturated yet, but in small towns such as the one in which I live, there aren't many more inches to expand, and tough choices have to be made.
There are about three retailers with any selection at all within half-an-hour of my house. In the largest, craft (and craft-y beers, like Blue Moon and Shock Top) already take up 75 percent of the allotted beer space. The selection is excellent, and I have no doubt they will continue to accept local beers over those from outside the region, at least for the short term. As new breweries come on line, or, maybe even better, as would-be brewers think about getting into the business, it might be time to take another look at the wildly successful brew pub model.
Welcome Home
The first time I went to J.J. Bitting Brewing Company in Woodbridge, N.J. was not too long after it opened. It was packed and loud on a Friday night and looked a little upscale for me. I had forgotten even having been there until we went by last week. It was busy-ish for a Wednesday afternoon, but there were seats at the bar and we took them.
As far as I could tell from my limited research of looking around the bar, if you want one of J.J. Bitting's beers, you have to walk through the restaurant's doors. Once through the doors, you could take it out in a growler or in your belly. Also, and again, this was based only on my vague observations at the time, if you want someone else's beer (anything from Coors to Sierra Nevada) you're pretty much out of luck. Here it is important to stress the total lack of research. I didn't see a bottle menu, and there were only on-premise brews on tap. Plus, I really REALLY, want it to be the case that they only serve their own beer because that's awesome and also my point.
A (faux) tasting tour
I'll never be a beer aficionado. I know a bit about the culture and the history, but when it comes to parsing flavors all I can do is repeat what I've heard and make sweeping generalizations peppered with flavor words that I like to use. For example, "Beer-flavored beer" is as an accessible description as one could hope for.
If you're going to have a brewpub and not serve beer that isn't made there, you better have a number of accessible beers; J.J. Bitting has four. It is in no way derisive to say they have a yellow one, a brown one and black one and a red one. All of them are excellent, wheelhouse beers. If a drinker wants to take the time to appreciate them, there's a lot in each of them to appreciate. But if a couple out on a date wants to have a quality beer that isn't going confuse their tastebuds, there's plenty to choose from. Having beers for everyone, not just the initiates, is what will make quality craft beer sustainable. It also will keep the movement grounded, letting brewers stretch themselves on some beers while sticking pretty much to the basics on others.
Every beer doesn't have to blow you away. Sometimes it's nice to be surprised by how perfectly even-keel a beer is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your browser does not support the audio element. Download this Podcast

What is in a name?

In this week's Beer with Strangers podcast , Doug Griffith of Xtreme Brewing in Laurel and I discussed the recurring news story that craft beer is running out of names . Among the concerns is that it makes it harder for new brewers to break in and it prevents smaller brewers from having big breakout beers. Craft beers allegedly have kooky names because they are the product of one brewery making many, many beers. It makes sense, at some level, to have weird names for beers. Brewers like to be distinctive, to set themselves apart. And people who like craft beer get a kick out of kooky names.  Raging Bitch made national news when there was a fight over whether it was an obscene name. Beyond that, as shelves get more crowded with bottles and cans, and as breweries continue to try and push the envelope with tastes and flavors, brewers want a name that is as distinctive as their beers. Plus, in absence of any other knowledge or review, lots of beer drinkers simply judge the beer book ...

Craft Canning Revolution?

Setting aside the 8 or 10 people who remember when beer from cans had an off flavor, the rise of craft beer in a can is probably the next bump in the craft beer market . Cans are cheaper to buy and cheaper to ship, and they hold flavor better. It is quite possible they hold flavor longer, but it's not an experiment I'm willing to try as it means arbitrarily leaving beer un-drunk. Over the last few years, the beer in a can market has grown significantly. The Genius of Mobile Canning I spoke with Augie Carton of Carton Brewing, who had canning as a major part of his original business plan. He said when he called a company to arrange to buy a canner, they directed him to one of their newest customers, a guy with a regional canning truck. Rather than have to invest in a very, very expensive and technical piece of equipment, Carton was able to contract with a company who would come out as needed, pump beer into the truck and roll filled cans out of it and into the brewery's...