Skip to main content

My Accidental Book Deal

I've been working on a book about a local brewery for three years. Like many would-be nonfiction authors I wrote as much as I could when I wasn't at my day job. I was a reporter when I started, then (mostly because I was cheap and the newspaper was bleeding cash) I was an editor and finally a section editor at a bigger paper. Between my day job and my book I was cranking out a phenomenal number of words every week.
When I finally left the newspaper business for the nonprofit sector, my first draft was nearly done and I was cruising toward a second draft. It was time to try selling my book. I've learned since that it is foolish (or at least amateur) to first write and research a nonfiction novel before selling it. My first proposal (I also learned nonfiction authors don't query) was to +The History Press. As I'd never written a book professionally before, I included the first four chapters of the second draft as an example.
Having not heard from them, I started sending what I was learning to call "draft proposals" to agents. As it turns out, according to the Internet, larger publishing houses only deal with agents. You pitch your book to an agent, and, if they're interested, they try and sell it to a publisher. It is incredibly tedious (but no more so than editing submitted copy from the garden club).
I was fully prepared to start getting rejection emails, I thought, but the first one was a pretty serious punch in the stomach, as were the second, third, and so on. It got to the point that I didn't want to send any more, 'cause it was getting brutal. My official rationale(izing) was that I didn't want to overdo it with the query/proposals. I decide to cut back to sending one each week as a way of protecting my ego, but was a little lackadaisical about it. That's when the History Press called.
I was working, so they left a message asking me to call back about my book. I was outrageously excited and reached out to an author friend who was both familiar with my book and who'd written for them before. She calmed me down pretty quickly.
The narrative nonfiction book I'd been working on was in the 130,000 words range, she told me the History Press tended to prefer books that came in closer to 50,000. She said I should consider whether I wanted to cut what I'd already written. I didn't.
"You may want to think of a counter-pitch," she said. "They don't publish that kind of book."
It went exactly as she'd predicted. The publishers asked me if I'd be interested in shortening my book. They were friendly and gentle when they explained the reasons they weren't interested in the epic I had written and even gentler in suggesting potential changes. Still, three years is a long time. I was pretty committed to my narrative.
"What about a history of beer on the Eastern Shore," I asked. I went on to explain that, between the work I'd done on colonial taverns in college and the ton of great stories I already hadn't used in the other book, I easily could put together a brief history of Eastern Shore beer.
Could I do it by the end of August? There was only one way to find out.
I sent a revised proposal, they sent a contract and we were off.
SPOILER ALERT:
I'm writing this blog because I did, indeed, finish the book, shooting for a late fall/early winter release. While I'm going through the drafting and composition process, I'll share the photos, stories, and minor adventures my photographer and I had putting this book together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give the Gift of Brewing

I do a weekly podcast about homebrewing. It's my hobby. I'm not on anyone's payroll, but, because people are looking for gifts this season, we did a show about getting people started in homebrewing that I thought was worth promoting. So I apologize in advance if I sound a little pitchy. I blog a bit about the brewing industry, but think about the brewing culture way more often. Brewing is one of those endeavors where, once you get hooked, you just wanna brew beer and help people who aren't brewing cultivate the interest. I love talking to homebrewers about what they do and (believe me) they love talking about it. This week's guest didn't show, so instead, Doug at Xtreme Brewing  and I talked about what it took to get someone into beer. Sometimes, taking a class helps. Doug gives free brewing classes occasionally and lots of people go to a couple before making the plunge. But, more often than not, a person will come in, pick up a starter kit, and get to brewin

Into the past

Castle Haven Photo courtesy of the Choptank River Heritage Center I went to college as a 30-year-old and, as I made for the graduation finish line, my first marriage came apart. If I ever write that story it will read like the lamest version of the poor man's Fear and Loathing.  Come to think of it, Fear and Loathing in Delmar  would be an awesome title. Doing primary source, original research was a graduation requirement, so I combined my appreciation for a good tavern with the fact that I had to write about something. While researching taverns in colonial Maryland I discovered that there was such a place a Castle Haven. More than a decade later, that paper became the first chapter in my first book, and the second installment in my blog about writing the book. This is the story of our attempt to breach Castle Haven in search of photos.

Beer makes great copy

Sure. Like you don't have a beer writing hat. When I was a reporter, and then when I was an editor, publishers would give me a hard time if I wrote too many brewery stories. I understood where they were coming from, but there were (and still are) few small-town business stories as compelling. The story about small batch breweries has always been a double-trend story. Opening and hiring people was bucking the employment and economic development trend of the time (2008-2012). Plus, there was the larger, new micro-brew revolution trend. Beyond the fact that the story was compelling was the fact that it included beer. No one believes spending an hour or so at the brewery counts as taking one for the team. It's funny but at the time I never considered how widespread that phenomenon was.  I wrote for a small paper in a small town. There were millions of guys like me, educated but barely employable in any other industry. We were all gravitating toward the local beer story,